Saturday

What’s in a name?

The phrase that entered my mind when I decided to become an official blogger were “fight or flight.” I chose flight in the form of a completely frantic first draft of a first post, which will not be published here. From the half page list of concerns in that first draft, written in an unintelligible stream of consciousness, the only concern that emanated was that of the title. I place a lot of weight in the title because:

A. I think it is the first impression a reader (assuming they exist) gets of the blog.

That’s the only reason, but it was still very important. I didn’t want a title that sounded too depressing, or one that denoted a blog of introspection to the point of discomfort, or one that included a disclaimer for why the writing or ideas or subject matter was anything less than Pulitzer Prize winning material. I wanted a title that left me to define the blog by the content. It had to be unique but still related to the content and a good first impression of me.

“So. After all that. How’d you come up with a title like this?” she asked skeptically.

Oh gosh I don’t know. It’s still confusing even to me. Just know that when I look down it fits me in the same way Cinderella’s glass slipper fits her.

2 comments: