Tuesday

Live Awkwardly

I propose we stop using the word "awkward." I have found in my recent experiences that this word is used entirely too often and means entirely too little. It's become a word that conveys a wide range of feelings and therefore none at all. Plus, what's so bad about awkward? Doesn't it just make life more interesting? It just gets your heart beating a little faster, maybe you get a little red, feel a little thankful for your understanding of social mores. 


Instead of awkward I propose we express our feelings in a more clear and meaningful way. "When you blatantly crush all social norms I feel uncomfortable and afraid for my safety, sanity, and reputation." Or, "I realize you are an adolescent and have not yet learned how to effectively communicate with the opposing gender and I appreciate your efforts but would request that you clear any text messages with your mom before you send them my way."

Oh what a world we would live in if everyone could express their feelings so clearly. Embrace the awkward in us all and live a more full and rich life. Watch others squirm as you nail the situation and brush it off before it even hits the climax.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Especially on that "I realize you are an adolescent..." part.

    ReplyDelete